Campers are having a blast at our uniquely themed camps this Summer. GPS provides a wonderful camp experience for children ages 2 1/2 – 9 with Half-Day and Full-Day options for 7 weeks. Current students, alumni and new friends have returned to camp for fun, friendship and lasting memories!
“Campers are involved in activities that spark their interests and create a thirst for knowledge!”, says Teresa Wolfe, Summer Camp Director.
Campers favorites include marching as a Super Hero in the Stars & Stripes Parade; a visit from the Snowie Bus and cooling off with a snow cone; bouncing on the big, orange Splash Pad on Water Wednesdays; and end-of-the-day Dance Parties under the Pavillion.
Specialty Camps, led by our experienced GPS Teachers, include Reading, Art and Drama. Our popular Reading camps are designed to helps campers avoid the Summer Slide and strengthen fluency, comprehension, recall, sound recognition, word families, rhyming and writing. Teachers integrate the weekly theme into creative centers and activities so campers have fun! Drama campers work diligently creating sets, costumes and learning how to express themselves. This year campers are excited to perform The Dish Ran Away With the Spoon! Artcampers study Art Masters, make tie-dye shirts and create mask sculptures. They also enjoy painting, ceramics, print making and visit a local park for plein air painting.
Lizzie Niccoli, Operations Director, says “GPS campers have made many memories this summer that will stay with them for years to come!”
In addition to Specialty Camps, weekly themes like Carnival Delights, Stars & Stripes, Finger Licken’ Fun, Mini Masterpieces, Wacky Science, Commotion in the Ocean, Icy Adventures, STEM Carnival, Edible Science, Spy Kids, Grossology and Gigantic Games are full of fun activities including:
- Designing carnival games – Ramp Bowling, Tightrope Walk, Photo Booth with props and tissue paper flowers
- Performing Yankee Doodle Dandy for parents, designing and decorating 4th of July parade floats and banners
- Shucking snap peas, blending smoothies, making colored sugar necklaces, Making apple bread and rainbow pancakes from scratch, s’mores in a solar oven constructed from a pizza box
- Learning how rock candy is made, measuring the height of Mentos Geisers, hunting for iron in cereal, making volcanoes erupt
- Making cave drawings, Castle printing with Legos and Andy Warhol inspired handprint art, playing with a Starry Night Discover bin
- Analyzing fingerprinting, solving riddles to locate the missing Golden Duck, creating secret messages
- Building a worm observation tower, creating a coral reef sculpture, learning how to card wool from sheep
- In-House Shows: The Claude Moore Park Frog Shackle Nature Center, a Magician, Under the Sea and more!
- Field Trips: Children’s Science Center Lab, Monster Mini Golf and Rita’s of Leesburg, Great Harvest Bakery, Rebounderz and more!
Two happy campers recently told us: “There is nowhere else I’d want to be than Golden Pond Summer Camp! It’s the best!” and “I love playing with my friends at Summer Camp.”
We are already planning fun activities for next year! Learn more at www.goldenpondsummercamp.com